Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Seven days without power

[THIS IS INTOLERABLE! How can you folks manage? We outside the country can only imagine the hell you must be going through.]

SEVEN DAYS WITHOUT POWER!

Lack of electricity is taking its toll on Kempton Park residents who are entering their seventh day without power.

Ekurhuleni metro municipality spokesperson Zweli Dlamini said power was to be restored on Monday.

Residents were left without power after a fire at a sub-station.

For Kobus Stevenson and his family, the past six days have been nightmarish. "This is unbearable. Our lives have come to a standstill," he complained as he made his way to a nearby shop to buy something to eat.

"There is not much in the shop. Most of the delicate stuff is getting rotten.

"If you buy milk you have to finish it the same day. This is so awful."

Lack of electricity has made it impossible for Stevenson to go out at night.

"It's too dark and scary. The alarms are not working. We just have to go to bed early".

"The problem is that my two sons do not understand why they have to sleep early - they want to play games."

Domestic worker Maki Masana said she had been using fire to cook and heat water to bath, and for her three-month-old daughter's bottle.

"I have to collect wood every day. What can I do? I have to make sure there is hot water for the babie's bottle.

"This is becoming a big problem for me. I cannot afford a gas stove. Whenever I make my daughter's bottle I have to make the fire."

Masana pointed at her two-year-old son's dirty feet - "I have been unable to bath him thoroughly.

"The little hot water I get, I have to save for important things. I can't bath him with cold water, I just wipe him with a wet towel."

On Sunday traffic lights were still out and most of the restaurants were deserted. The only visible activity came from generator-powered shops.

0 Opinion(s):